(place mouse over image for larger view)
Advance your skills in making filigree jewellery with Canadian Filigree Artist Milt Fischbein. Milt will teach you the fundamentals of making filigree coils and Middle Eastern style flowers. At the end of this workshop you will have created a pair of filigree teardrop earrings and a multi level 3 dimensional filigree flower pendant.
Filigree is an ancient technique that involves the creation of lace-like silver jewellery out of fine silver wires. Using very basic tools, beautiful objects are made by twisting and curling fine silver threads and soldering them into carefully crafted frames.
In this interactive online workshop you will be introduced to the amazing world of filigree coils and flowers. You will learn how to make sterling silver flower frames and how to fill them with teardrop coils to create traditional style Middle Eastern flower pendants and teardrop earrings.
Techniques that you will learn include:
- Making fine silver filigree wire
- Filigree soldering with paste solder
- Design basics for making filigree flowers
- How to create a variety of coil shapes; circle, teardrop, leaf etc
- Fabricating multi petal frames
- Creating 3 dimensional filigree flowers
- Modifying your paste solder for making coils and flowers
- Incorporating bezel set cabochon stones in your filigree jewellery
- Three dimensional filigree ball creation
- Selecting the appropriate tools for making filigree coils and flowers
A kit of materials is included with this class. Registered students receive a class kit by mail, shipped to the address used for registration. Please be sure to contact us at the time of registration with any updates re: where you want your kit shipped.
A handout is included with the class. A pdf of the handout is sent to students before the first day of class.
About Our Interactive Online Classes
This class is online and uses the Zoom app/website. Through Zoom, you’ll be able to see demos and follow instructions, ask questions and interact with your instructor. Zoom is easy to use and free for students to use for class, and works on most devices, like phones (iphone, Android, etc), tablets (iPads, etc), and computers (Mac or PC).
This course meets for 3 sessions, 3 hours for the first session, 3 hours morning and afternoon with a lunch break each of the following sessions, for a total of 15 hours. Your instructor is also available during free Zoom office hours for questions and help.
Each class is also recorded and available for students to watch later, to review instructions or in case you missed a class.
Students work at home or in their studio. All of our recommended tools and the kit materials are chosen to be home studio friendly.
Read what students have to say about our online classes on the testimonials page.
Tools for this Class
- Torch and Soldering set up
- Soldering Tweezers Type MM or AA or 00
- Flex Shaft
- Filigree Tweezers – Two pairs, Type 00 and Type 3
- Flush cutter – Light duty
- Flush cutter – Medium duty
- Digital Caliper
- Steel Bench Block
- Bezel Mandrel
- Dapping Block with Punches
- Plastic or Rawhide Mallet
- Chain Nose Pliers
- Flat Nose Pliers
- Ruler – 6” steel
- Cell phone with camera
- Stainless Steel binding wire 0.4 mm
- Safety Equipment as required (i.e. Dust Mask, safety glasses, natural fiber clothing, etc.)
A computer, phone or tablet to use the free Zoom app for class
Class policies for refunds, transfers and cancelations.
Basic metalsmithing skills, including previous experience with fabrication, bezel setting, and soldering is required.
Must have prior experience with filigree or have taken Filigree 1 - Introduction to Filigree or equivalent filigree class with an experienced instructor such as Victoria Lansford or Valentina Caprini.
Location: Silvera Jewelry School, Berkeley, CA