(place mouse over image for larger view)
Take your enameling to another dimension! This class focuses on how to enamel three dimensional forms as well as some methods for creating 3D forms suitable for enameling. We will be covering not only how you can use forms you already have- cast, dieformed, electroformed, anticlastic, foldformed, or other non- soldered formed pieces, but also how to construct forms for enameling with dapping, forming, mesh, and fabrication techniques.
Learn to enamel in the round, balance the surface tension of the enamel with the form of the piece, and how to adapt your enamel techniques onto three-dimensional surfaces. Finishing and clean-up will also be covered.
Techniques covered include:
- Dapping and synclastic forming
- Sifting and wet packing on curved surfaces
- Eutectic/IT soldering in fabrication
- Forming with mesh
- Stoning and finishing surfaces that are hard to reach
- Enameling on vertical and inverted surfaces
- Supporting 3D forms for firing
- Considerations and skills for enameling on a variety of 3D forms including castings, anticlastic and synclastic forms, die formed pieces, electroformed pieces, and fold formed pieces.
Read what students have to say about our online classes on the testimonials page.
A kit of materials is included with this class and will be mailed to you. Please be sure that the address with your payment is the correct one for shipping..
About Our Interactive Online Classes
This class is online and uses the Zoom app/website. Through Zoom, you’ll be able to see demos and follow instructions, ask questions and interact with your instructor. Zoom is easy to use and free for students to use for class, and works on most devices, like phones (iphone, Android, etc), tablets (iPads, etc), and computers (Mac or PC).
This course meets for 6 sessions, 3 hours per session, for a total of 18 hours. Your instructor is also available during free Zoom office hours for questions and help.
Each class is also recorded and available for students to watch later, to review instructions or in case you missed a class.
Students work at home or in their studio. All of our recommended tools and the kit materials are chosen to be home studio friendly. We always choose the safest materials, chemicals and tools for you and the environment.
Tools for this Class
This is a list of tools you’ll need to practice the techniques shown in class. A list of tools with recommended suppliers for the best prices will be sent to you after registration If you have questions about the tool list, please contact us.
- Decent quality round synthetic bristle paint brushes- varied sizes, including a couple small ones
- Old magazines or glossy pages that can be destroyed
- Paper towels
- Plastic spoons
- Scotchbrite (green scrub pad from grocery store)
- Two Jars for water
- Jar for enamel run off from washing
- Sifters- 40 mesh, 80 mesh
- Face mask
- Torch- large butane or acetylene/air or propane/oxygen
- Extra butane canisters if using butane torch
- Soldering set-up- soldering board, pick, flux, pickle
- If Torch firing the enamels:
- Tripod and mesh screen or Fire brick
- If Kiln firing the enamels:
- Kiln such as a Paragon SC2
- Mesh firing rack
- Firing fork
- Bench pin
- 1mm drill bit
- Flexshaft or Dremel
- Saw frame
- 2/0 or 3/0 or 4/0 saw blades
- Needle file set of 6
- Sandpaper- 320,400,600 grits
- Mallet- plastic or rawhide
- Half round/flat forming pliers
- Diamond pad files
- Diamond bur assortment
- Dapping set
- Ring mandrel
- Pro shears
- Assortment of enamel colors that you like- 80 grit opaque and transparents, including 1030 and either 2040 or 2030
- Cast, dieformed, electroformed, fold formed, or other 3D non soldered pieces to enamel.
A computer, phone or tablet to use the free Zoom app for class
Class policies for refunds, transfers and cancelations.
Basic enameling skills (sifting, firing) are highly recommended. Basic jewelry skills (soldering, sawing, drilling, finishing), and prior use of a flexshaft or dremel are required.
Location: Silvera Jewelry School, Berkeley, CA
Jenn Parnell Kirkpatrick
No upcoming occurences at this time.