(place mouse over image for larger view)
Advance your skills in making filigree jewelry with Canadian Filigree Artist Milt Fischbein. Milt will teach you the fundamentals of making filigree rings. At the end of this workshop you will have created 3 different filigree rings and will have learned the skills to create many more filigree ring designs.
Watch a 2 minute trailer for this class.
Filigree is an ancient technique that involves the creation of lace-like silver jeweley out of fine silver wires. Using very basic tools, beautiful objects are made by twisting and curling fine silver threads and soldering them into carefully crafted frames.
In this interactive workshop you will be introduced to several different techniques for making filigree rings, including an adjustable band ring, a filigree style twisted band and a “petite” filigree ring. You will learn the basics of several ring designs and have the freedom to design your own rings during the workshop, using these techniques.
Techniques that you will learn include:
- Design basics for making several styles of filigree rings, including an adjustable band ring.
- Correct types of filigree wire, round wire and square wire to use to make different ring designs
- How to incorporate faceted gemstones and cabochon stones into your ring designs
- How to make a tube style setting for a round faceted gemstone
- How to tube set a round faceted gemstone using traditional setting tools as well as a bezel punch
- Short refresher on how to make your filigree wire
A handout is included with the class. A pdf of the handout is sent to students before the first day of class.
About Our Interactive Online Classes
This class is online and uses the Zoom app/website. Through Zoom, you’ll be able to see demos and follow instructions, ask questions and interact with your instructor. Zoom is easy to use and free for students to use for class, and works on most devices, like phones (iphone, Android, etc), tablets (iPads, etc), and computers (Mac or PC).
This course meets for 2 days, 3 hours morning and afternoon with a lunch break each day, for a total of 12 hours. Your instructor is also available during free Zoom office hours for questions and help.
There will be a post-workshop Zoom get-together the week after the class to show your pieces.
Each class is also recorded and available for students to watch later, to review instructions or in case you missed a class.
Students work at home or in their studio. All of our recommended tools and the kit materials are chosen to be home studio friendly.
Read what students have to say about our online classes on the testimonials page.
Watch a 2 minute video about this class.
Tools for this Class
- Torch and Soldering set up
- Rolling Mill (to roll out the filigree wire. If students do not have a rolling mill, they can buy a kit of pre-rolled wire from the instructor. Just contact him after registering)
- Flex Shaft
- Filigree Tweezers – Two pairs, Type 00 and Type 3
- Soldering Tweezers Type MM or AA or 00
- Flush cutter – Light duty
- Flush cutter – Medium duty
- Digital Caliper
- Steel Bench Block
- Small crowbar (12”)
- Sturdy Vise
- Two screwdrivers of any type
- Ring Holder
- Steel Ring Mandrel
- Nylon or Rawhide Mallet
- Half round pliers
- Flat File
- 4mm Setting bur
- 4mm round bur
- Chain Nose Pliers
- Flat Nose Pliers
- Ruler – 6” steel
- Cell phone with camera
- Stainless Steel binding wire 0.4 mm
- 26ga fine silver round wire
- Sterling silver round wire- 18, 20, 22 ga
- Sterling silver square wire- 16,18 ga
- Sterling jump rings
- Tube or tube setting
- 4mm faceted stone
- 6mm cabochon stone
- 6mm bezel cup
- Paste solder
- Hard and Medium Solder
- Safety Equipment as required ie Dust Mask, safety glasses, natural fiber clothing etc
A computer, phone or tablet to use the free Zoom app for class
Class policies for refunds, transfers and cancelations.
Basic metalsmithing skills, including previous experience with fabrication, bezel setting, and soldering is required. Prior experience with making filigree is recommended, like
successful completion of Filigree 1 - Introduction to Filigree, or an equivalent filigree class with an experienced instructor such as Victoria Lansford or Valentina Caprini.
Location: Silvera Jewelry School, Berkeley, CA
No upcoming occurences at this time.