(place mouse over image for larger view)
Continue to explore the versatility of metal clay. Adding color to jewelry projects is an excellent way to add interest, depth and value to our work. There are many patination formulas on the market now that can add color and meaning to our projects. Students will learn designs appropriate for the specific coloring techniques.
- Planning and designing for color
- Creating channel depths to enhance the visual effects of patina
- Framing areas for color enrichment
- Manual polishing and finishing reviewed
- Preparing the surface of a fired piece prior to adding color
- Combining diverse applications of color on one piece
- Shading colors
- Enhancing coloring techniques with a butane torch
- Setting stones to enrich the color and texture of the project
- Removing color when the results are not adequate
Projects taught will be fireable with a butane torch – safe to do at home. Safety precautions and set up will be reviewed.
About Our Interactive Online Classes
This class is online and uses the Zoom app/website. Through Zoom, you’ll be able to see demos and follow instructions, ask questions and interact with your instructor. Zoom is easy to use and free for students to use for class, and works on most devices, like phones (iphone, Android, etc), tablets (iPads, etc), and computers (Mac or PC).
This course meets for 3 weeks, 3 hours per week, for a total of 9 hours of instruction.
Your instructor is also available during free Zoom office hours for questions and help.
Each class is also recorded and available for students to watch later, to review instructions or in case you missed a class.
Students work at home or in their studio. All of our recommended tools and the kit materials are chosen to be home studio friendly.
Read what students have to say about our online classes on the testimonials page.
Tools and Materials for this class
This is a list of tools you’ll need to practice the techniques shown in class. You will also need the tools from Metal Clay 1. A list of the specific models of tools and clay with links to recommended suppliers for the best prices will be sent to you after registration If you have questions about the tool list, please contact us.
Tools and materials required for this class:
- Art Clay Silver 20 grams
- Art Clay Silver syringe 5 grams (students may have sufficient supply remaining from Metal Clay 1 class)
- Ultra Fine Sanding Sponges
- Fine point paint brush
- Vintaj Patina Inks - variety of at least 3 colors
- Liver of Sulphur Gel
- Silver Black or Black Max
- Polishing pads
- Acetone (nail polish remover)
- Baby cotton buds (Q-tips)
- Texture with deep relief
- 4mm Faceted Fireable stone
Class policies for refunds, transfers and cancelations.
Prior experience with Metal Clay required
Location: Silvera Jewelry School, Berkeley, CA
No upcoming occurences at this time.