(place mouse over image for larger view)
In this workshop, students will learn all about how to safely etch at home with the electrolytic etching process. Each student will create their own portable etching set-up to take home with them and create at least one finished piece of jewelry using the etching process.
The class will go over how the etching process works, available metal choices, troubleshooting, and several different resist options as well as finishing tips for etched pieces.
No experience required to learn how to etch without acids!
• Introduction to the equipment, basic safety for etching
• Discussion: What is Electrolytic Etching?
• Resists: ○ PnP ○ Nail Polish ○ Paint ○ Sharpie
• Preparing metal pieces for etching
• Setting up your Electrolytic Bath and Etching
• Measuring your etch, cleaning your piece post-etch
• Forming and finishing your etched pieces
Kit of materials and use of tools included. The kit you can take home includes an etching setup so that you can do more etching at home. Each student has a bench of their own to use during the workshop, fully equipped with your own soldering station, flex shaft and a complete set of tools.
Open to all levels. Beginners welcome!
Location: Silvera Jewelry School, Berkeley, CA