(place mouse over image for larger view)
Advance your skills in making filigree jewellery with Canadian Filigree Artist Milt Fischbein. Milt will teach you the fundamentals of making hinged filigree cuff bracelets. At the end of this workshop you will have learned the skills to create several styles of hinged filigree cuffs
Filigree 2, 3 and 4 can be taken in any order.
Filigree is an ancient technique that involves the creation of lace-like silver jewellery out of fine silver wires. Using very basic tools, beautiful objects are made by twisting and curling fine silver threads and soldering them into carefully crafted frames.
In this interactive workshop you will be introduced to techniques for making hinged filigree cuff bracelets and we will work together to create a hinged filigree cuff. You will learn the basics of filigree cuff design so that you can design and fabricate your own filigree cuffs.
Techniques that you will learn include
- Design basics for making hinged filigree cuffs
- How to make filigree style hinges, using techniques that apply to regular tube hinges as well, including making knuckle style hinges and hinge pins and riveting the hinge pins.
- Correct types of filigree wire, and frame wire to use to make hinged cuffs
- How to incorporate faceted gemstones and cabochon stones into your cuff designs
- An overview on applying these skills to non-hinged cuff bracelets
This course is available as a live online class. Please check this page for times available.
Recordings of class.
If a class is online, or is a combination online and in-person session, all students receive a link to a recording of the class demonstrations.
A handout is included with the class. A pdf of the handout is sent to students before the first day of class.
Tools Required for Online Students
This is a list of tools online students need to practice the techniques shown in class.
A list of tools with links to recommended suppliers for the best prices will be sent to you after registration. If you have questions about the tool list, please contact us.
- Torch and Soldering set up
- Rolling Mill (Please see detailed notes)
- Flex Shaft
- Filigree Tweezers – Two pairs, Type 00 and Type 3
- Soldering Tweezers Type MM or AA or 00
- Flush cutter – Light duty
- Flush cutter – Medium duty
- Digital Caliper
- Steel Bench Block
- Round Bracelet Mandrel
- Brass Caliper
- Needle Files, Round, Square and Triangular
- Sturdy Vise
- Nylon or Rawhide Mallet
- Half round pliers
- Chain Nose Pliers
- Flat Nose Pliers
- Ruler – 6” steel
- Cell phone with camera
- Stainless Steel binding wire 0.4 mm
- Safety Equipment as required: Dust Mask, safety glasses, natural fiber clothing, etc
Materials Required (there is no kit for this class)
A list of materials with links to recommended suppliers for the best prices will be sent to you after registration in the same file as your tool list.
- Sterling Silver Square wire, 14 Ga, Dead Soft, 1 meter (3.3 feet)
- Sterling Silver Round wire 22Ga, Dead Soft, 2 meters (6.6 feet)
- Sterling Silver Round wire 0.9 mm, Half hard or Spring Hard, 0.2 Meters (1 foot)
- One Lobster Claw or similar clasp
- Jump Rings 18Ga 5 mm OD
- Curb Chain, 2 mm wide, 5 inches
- Assortment of wire for making filigree filler and internal frame wire as done in previous workshops. Varies depending on your designs.
A computer, phone or tablet to use the free Zoom app for class
About Our Interactive Online Classes
If this class is offered online, it uses the Zoom app/website. Through Zoom, you’ll be able to see demos and follow instructions, ask questions and interact with your instructor. Zoom is easy to use and free for students to use for class, and works on most devices, like phones (iPhone, Android, etc), tablets (iPads, etc), and computers (Mac or PC).
Online students work at home or in their studio. All of our recommended tools and the kit materials are chosen to be home studio friendly. Links to preferred vendors are provided in the supplies list sent after registration.
Read what students have to say about our online classes on the testimonials page.
Class policies for refunds, transfers and cancelations.
Basic metalsmithing skills, including previous experience with jewellery soldering is required.
Must have prior experience with filigree or have taken Introduction to Filigree Jewellery or have taken another filigree class with an experienced filigree instructor.
Location: Silvera Jewelry School, Berkeley, CA