(place mouse over image for larger view)
This intro to the laser welder will teach you how to use one, what it can and cannot do, and lots more. Sit down with a jeweler who has logged thousands of hours of laser welding and learn how this new technology can be used for your jewelry.
What is a laser welder?
Laser welders are quite the investment for your jewelry studio, but they be an amazing tool for your craft. Laser welders require little maintenance, and with a little bit of proper care, your equipment will last for decades.
With a laser welder, you can:
• Fuse metal to itself without soldering.
• Make joins and work near heat sensitive stones.
• Do simple resizing and repair jobs in less than one hour.
• Fill in cracks and pits with less trace in castings, etc.
What will this class cover?
• Explore the laser welder, its parts and functions
• Routine maintenance
• What can a laser welder do and what it cannot do
• Explore common tasks you can do with a laser welder:
- welding a ring band
- add jump rings to pendant with stones in place
- tack settings in place and then solder them
- re-tip prong settings
- fix porosity in castings
Students can bring a couple of pieces to ask about, re: laser welding and repair
Students will also be able to try their hand at laser welding on sample pieces during class.
Kit of materials and use of tools included. Materials and use of tools are included with your class fees. Each student has a bench of their own to use during the workshop, ant it’s fully equipped with your own soldering station, flex shaft and a complete set of tools.
Class policies for refunds, transfers and cancelations.
We recommend that students have prior experience with jewelry, like successful completion of a class in fabrication (Basic Jewelry 1 or Basic Jewelry 1 & 2) or casting (Lost Wax Casting 1).
Location: Silvera Jewelry School, Berkeley, CA
|Upcoming Workshop Dates
|Fri. Mar 20||10AM-5PM|